Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Resident representative requirement for the company registration (follow-up)

In my previous blog entry, the news article I mentioned seemed to be hastily posted. There has been no follow-up report from the newspaper company. However, it is certain that the Ministry of Justice is still studying the way how they can react on this issue of modifying the rule of resident representative when registering a company/branch.

On the other hand, there is a progress on Business Manger visa. Nikkei Newspaper reported that, starting from coming April, the Government will start a new type of Business Manger visa that is valid for four months. Currently, there are Business Manager visa for longer term (1/3/5 years) but it is difficult to obtain such a visa for a regular investor. 4-months Business Manager visa has less requirements.

Currently, foreign nationals/companies wishing to come to Japan and incorporate a company has to have a resident representative and office address beforehand. These are heavy burden for common investors.

With the 4-months Business Manager visa, you can come to Japan without having resident representative and office address.  After entering Japan, you can take up your abode, register you as a foreign resident, and complete the incorporation processes. If these processes are done withing the time limit of four months, you will be able to renew the Business Manager visa with longer period of validity.

In short, even if the requirement of resident representative remains, foreign nationals/companies with enough fund to travel to Japan and rent a residence can obtain the 4-months Business Manager visa and start preparation of incorporation/branch registration in Japan.

Resident representative is not necessary for Japanese corporations

A resident representative is no longer necessary for Japanese corporations (Note: A resident representative is still necessary for a branch ...