Saturday, June 19, 2010

GYOSEI-SHOSHI (Administrative Scrivener, Immigration Lawyer)

Practice areas of GYOSEI-SHOSHI focus on the business licenses and Japanese visa. For example, they will help you:

- to obtain the certificate of parking space (when you own a car in Japan, you need to have this certificate to prove that you have the parking space for the car.)
- to open a restaurant or game hall
- to start industrial-waste disposal business, scrapper, construction business or estate agency
- to obtain Japanese visas or Japanese nationality
- to draft a contract

There are a lot more business licenses they can handle.

There are so many business licenses they can handle but they are not always experts for every area. If you ask a GYOSEI-SHOSHI lawyer to get a governmental license/approval, confirm he/she is an expert for the specific business area.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

SHIHO-SHOSHI (Judicial Scrivener, Solicitor)

SHIHOSHOSHI will represent you on the registration at the Legal Affairs Bureau (Houmu Kyoku) such as real estate registration, incorporation, change of company structure, renewal of directors. Their work includes the preparation of documents for court trials, and if the amount is below JPY1.4 million, they can represent you on litigation and contract negotiation.

If you are planning to set up a company or register a branch in Japan, a Shiho-Shoshi lawyer who can communicate in English (or your language) will be helpful and informative on the procedures.

Japan Federation of Shiho-Shoshi Lawyer's Associations

Sunday, June 6, 2010

ZEIRISHI (Certified Public Tax Accountant)

ZEIRISHI provides accounting services for individuals, companies and other legal entities. Usually, their services include representation in tax filing, preparation of tax documents, tax advice, bookkeeping, and so on.

If you are looking for someone who assists your tax filing, ZEIRISHI is the appropriate professional.

From its origin, ZEIRISHI can be divided into four kinds.

1) People who passed the Certified Public Tax Accountant examination
2) OB/OG of tax office
3) Masters who finished the postgraduate courses on accounting subjects (they are exempted from some categories of the Certified Public Tax Accountant examination. If they finish both the accounting courses and tax courses, they are exempted from all subjects of the examination.)
4) Attorney at law or Certified Tax Accountant

Of course, ZEIRISHI categorized in 1) is the most knowledgeable on tax laws.

ZEIRISHI of above 2) type is knowledgeable on the area they experienced when they were officials at the tax office, but not on other matters.

Type 3) is likely to lack the knowledge of tax laws, but some of them are successors of big accounting firms, and their offices are with a lot of experienced staff :-)

People in above 4) category are, in a way, brilliant but may lack the expertise on tax laws. I you are going to ask for litigation/contract/IPO consulting together with accounting, it may be convenient to hire them. They can offer one-stop service for that.

Japan Federation of Certified Public Tax Accountants' Associations

Resident representative is not necessary for Japanese corporations

A resident representative is no longer necessary for Japanese corporations (Note: A resident representative is still necessary for a branch ...